Skip to main content

How's your laundry (or are you taking care of yourself)?

 



When folx ask how I am, I find myself often responding, "busy." And all too often recently, "too busy."

I have a simple measure for my busyness. How many pairs of underwear are in my laundry pile. My laundry should have about seven pairs of underwear in it. Today it had 30. And why do I have 30 pairs of underwear? Well, when I'm ridiculously busy, I stop and buy new pairs -- because as mom always said, you must wear clean underwear. How many times have I been overscheduled that I couldn't stop to do laundry, and now have over 30 pairs of underwear!?!?

Obviously, 'busy" is not a good response to 'how are you." It means I'm too scheduled to even think about my health - physical and mental. And, if I stopped to think about it, the real response would be something like, "I'm tired. I'm missing my deep connections. I'm away from home too much. I need some rest and fun."

One of the casualties of leading a perpetually busy life is self-care. We prioritize external obligations over our own well-being, leaving us feeling exhausted and unfulfilled. Taking care of ourselves should never be seen as a luxury, but rather as an essential part of maintaining overall happiness and success. Being too busy can be detrimental to our physical and mental health, hindering our ability to live a balanced and purposeful life. 

I'm working on recognizing the value of self-care, reevaluating my priorities, and embracing moments of stillness. And that's not easy for this extrovert with a giant E.  

There are several practical ways I'll be prioritizing self-care amidst my busy schedule. I invite you to try with me:


1. Schedule dedicated self-care time: Block off specific time in your schedule for self-care activities. Treat this time as non-negotiable and prioritize it just as you would any other important commitment.

2. Set boundaries: Learn to say no to unnecessary commitments and delegate tasks when possible. Setting boundaries with others and yourself will help create more time and space for self-care.

3. Break tasks into smaller, manageable chunks: If your schedule feels overwhelming, break tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks. This will help prevent burnout and allow for regular self-care breaks throughout the day.

4. Practice mindfulness throughout the day: Incorporate moments of mindfulness into your daily routine. Take a few minutes to focus on your breath, engage in a quick meditation, or simply bring your attention to the present moment. This can help reduce stress and increase overall well-being.

5. Prioritize activities that truly nourish you: Identify activities that genuinely bring you joy and make you feel refreshed. Whether it's reading a book, taking a bath, going for a walk, or practicing a hobby, make time for these activities regularly.

Remember, self-care is essential for maintaining overall well-being and preventing burnout. By prioritizing self-care amidst a busy schedule, we can ensure that we are taking care of ourselves, and our laundry! Remember, busyness is not always a measure of productivity or happiness – finding balance is the key.

Barbara


Comments